NITK lies on the coastal belt of Karnataka, on the National Highway 66, at about 22 kms from Mangalore towards Udupi. It lies close to Mangalore International Airport, Mangalore Railway Station and the Mangalore Port. Bus Routes from Mumbai, Goa and Bangalore ( that terminate at Udupi-Manipal) pass through the College and visitors can disembark right away.
Distance from Popular Source Points (approx.)
From Mangalore Airport: 20 KM
From Mangalore Central Railway Station: 21 KM
From Mangalore Junction Railway Station: 25 KM
From Surathkal Railway Station: 04 KM
From Mangalore Bus stand: 22 KM
From Udupi Bus Stand: 35 KM
Travel Time and distance from other cities
|BY BUS||BY TRAIN||BY AIR|
|From Mumbai: 22 hrs||From Mumbai: 18 hrs||From Bangalore: 40 mins|
|From Bangalore: 7 hrs||From Chennai: 18 hrs||From Mumbai: 1 hr 20 mins|
|From Mysore: 7 hrs||From Thiruvananthapuram: 18 hrs|
|From Goa: 8 hrs||From New Delhi: 40 hrs|
|From Ernakulam: 10 hrs||From Ernakulam: 9 hrs|
|From Hyderabad: 24 hrs||From Calcutta (via Chennai): 50 hrs|
|From Bijapur: 14 hrs||From Jammu Tawi (via New Delhi): 60hrs|
|From Hubli: 7hrs||From Guwahati (via Calcutta): 72 hrs|
|From Belgaum: 9hrs|
Reaching NITK from Nearby Places
From Mangalore Railway Station
• All Express buses to Udupi, Manipal, Kundapur, Bhatkal or Karkala drop you at the College NITK Express Bus Stop which is closer to the Administrative Block, Departments, Girls' Hostels Block, and the Guest House.
From Mangalore Bus stand
• All Service/Express Buses starting from Mangalore Bus Stand and going towards Udupi or Karkala, stop at NITK Main Building.
• A number of Private Taxis also available at Mangalore. NITK is 21 Kms. from Mangalore on the northern side on National Highway No.66.
From Surathkal Railway Station
• Passengers alighting at Surathkal station can engage auto rickshaws that will take them to the college 2 kms from the Station for Rs.40/-.
• Further, one can also reach Surathkal Bus Stand and board regular service buses that ply via the college.
All parents/ guardians with wards at NITK can apply through their wards in advance for accommodation at the International Hostel (IH) and the Institute Guest House. Besides these, Surathkal and Mangalore are dotted with a flurry of lodges, food Joints and Shopping Complexes.
Some tourist attractions nearby
- Bekal Fort, Kasargod: Is a coastal fortress and verdant beach situated 70 km off Mangalore. Bekal Fort can be reached from Kasargod, Kerala State; which in turn is an hour's bus ride from Mangalore.
- St. Mary's Island, Udupi: Tiles Factory; situated off the coast, is a volcanic island.
- Goa: Known worldwide for beaches, and architecture. 360 km's, 8 hrs by daily buses and trains
- Karwar: Beaches, SeaBird Naval base and Kaiga Nuclear power plant. 5 hrs by regular daytime buses and trains.
- Kudremukh: Forest Reserve and Trekker's Paradise. 3 hrs by bus from NITK.
- Madikeri, Kodagu: a visit to the Coorg coffee plantations and waterfalls to recharge spent batteries. 3 hrs from Mangalore by bus.
- Kemmangundi: Cool air,waterfalls and lush greenery. Only for the steel-willed and clad explorers.
- Udhagamandalam (Ooty): Queen Of Hill Stations, famed for its annual flower show. 12 hour bus journey via Mysore
- NITK is close to the temple towns of Udupi (Sri Krishna Temple and Madhva Maths) 50 km
- Kateel (Durgaparameshwari Temple) 20km Sringeri (Sharada Peetham) 75km
- Kollur (Mookambika Temple) 75km
- Dharmasthala 100 km.
- All towns are well-connected to Mangalore or Surathkal by frequent buses.
- Jain Shrines: Karkala and Venur are known for their age-old sculpture of Bahubali.
- Sabarimala: Place of pilgrimage for Lord Ayyappa devotees. Season commences mid-November every year. KSRTC organizes overnight bus services each season.
- Guruvayoor: Famed Sri Krishna Temple in Kerala, regular overnight bus services.
- Mysore: world-famous Dassurah festival and Chamundi hills; regular overnight bus services. Retreat Centre.
- Potah: spiritual centre in South Kerala, on the rail route from Mangalore to Thiruvananthapuram.